Pages

Friday 1 May 2015

Synopsis of study

the first thing i had to do was write a learning agreement, this is basically the brief of the project, outlining my intention, reasons and all the admin stuff required to justify and overview my animation concept.
after a my first idea was called cliche by my professors I reworked my idea to something they agreed with. they really like narratives for projects so i made a vague one that i could play with as i went along.
 Synopsis of study
“This world is but a canvas to our imagination.”-Henry David Thoreau

Ever since I can remember my reality hasn’t been grounded in fact. One of the reasons I decided to become an artist is that most of the time my imagination is constantly running in parallel, and often expanding into my own reality. This was most prominent when I was a child. My family would often go walking in the countryside and in woods and this gave me a fantastical background in which I would fantasise about all the magical creatures that lived in the woods. Here, the fairies from my bedtime stories would dance among the foliage and crocodiles would swim in the streams. It is my intention for this project to re-visit those moments and bring them to life with motion.

My objective for this project is to show, using various animation techniques, the interactions of a group of imaginary characters within the real world. I will be animating these imagined characters into live footage so as to create a short documentary style film capturing these moments and bringing them to the screen. By using a documentary style, I hope to enhance the believability of the narrative and help to entrance the younger audience.

Animation is one of, if not the most, time consuming endeavours one pursues and so careful time management is a critical component for this venture. This is also amplified by considering that my current understanding of animation is admittedly limited. As it is a relatively new undertaking of mine, learning both basic and advanced techniques will also require a large amount of my time in this project. I will also have to design the characters and find a fitting environment in which they can be placed.

Using rotoscoping methods and software such as Flash, Adobe and After Effects, as well as various mediums such as ink and watercolour, I intend to paint these characters onto live action filming to show the child like secrecy of nature.
The audio of this project will be both that of the original filming with additional sound effects to help enhance the depth of these images and extend upon the narrative.

Looking at any similar practices used in animations will provide solid points of reference as well as to serve as fuel for creativeness. Stylistically speaking, my main inspiration is that of the studio ‘Ghibli films’ as they have my favorite animation style when it comes to creatures and mythology, namely the tree spirits from ‘Princess Mononoke’. In terms of visual techniques ‘Pete’s Dragon’, the 1977 film, would be the closest reference to what I am trying to achieve as it too has animated characters interacting with film.

This animation is aimed at children and many things will have to be considered as to the complexity of themes, animation style, and appropriateness of content. It is my hope that the animation will also help adults to remember their childhood innocence and possibly recapture some of their youth, but this is a secondary aim.

This project will also help serve to develop my understanding of animation and its relative uses to illustration for further projects. It will also help me develop notary skills where it comes to my processes and methods in the form of a continuously maintained blog.
Aims:
A1       To provide me with awareness of how screen-based technologies are transforming the way that audiences are consuming information – how Illustration can enhance my specific concept and affect my target audience.

A2       To develop my creative solutions and skills in relation to the technology available to illustrators towards a screen based presentation.

A3       To develop my organizational skills to enable my independent learning, critical evaluation and Self-Management.

Learning Outcomes:
On completion of the unit you will be able to:

LO1     Demonstrate my knowledge of new and evolving technologies for the illustrator in relation to my identified audience.

LO2     Demonstrate my practical application of traditional and technology skills in the creation of my screen-based presentation.

LO3     Demonstrate the application of my organizational skills and evidence of my independent learning, critical evaluation and Self-Management through the development of my project.

Assessment Components
Body of work to be identified through and in the negotiated Learning Agreement.(Tutor Assessed) 100%

References
Spirited Away2001
Princess Mononoke 1997
My Neighbor Totoro 1988
Pete's Dragon 1977
A Scanner Darkly 2006
who framed roger rabbit 1988

Blyton, E. the fairy shoemaker and other stories 1987
Ursell, M. illustrating children's books 2013
Bratt, B. Rotoscoping Techniques and tools for the Aspiring Artist 2011
Miyazaki, H. The Art of Miyazaki's My Neighbor Totoro
Miyazaki, H. The Art of Miyazaki's Spirited Away
Hamm, J. Cartooning the Head & Figure
Blair, P. Advanced Animation
Blair, P. Cartoon Animation
Williams, R. The Animators Survival Kit
Animation From Pencils to Pixels
Lynda.com - Creating Animated Characters in After Effects

No comments:

Post a Comment